Deprecated: mysql_pconnect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/black123/public_html/Connections/blackkatz.php on line 9

Deprecated: mysql_pconnect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/black123/public_html/Connections/ammedia.php on line 10
Old Spitalfields Market, rent a flat in London
 

Old Spitalfields Market


Notice: Undefined variable: styles in /home/black123/public_html/includes/mxi/MXI_functions.inc.php on line 109

Notice: Undefined variable: links in /home/black123/public_html/includes/mxi/MXI_functions.inc.php on line 109

Notice: Undefined variable: scripts in /home/black123/public_html/includes/mxi/MXI_functions.inc.php on line 109

Old Spitalfields Market is a covered market in Spitalfields, just outside the City of London. The existing buildings were built in 1887 to service a wholesale market, owned by the City of London Corporation. This was on the site of a public market, founded in 1682 by Charles II. Charles' Spitalfield's Market was founded to feed the burgeoning population of this suburb of London, that had previously been open fields.

To find a place to rent near Spitalfields Market contact the Black Katz City office - flats, houses and apartments to rent in Spitalfields and across London.

The original wholesale fruit and vegetable market moved to New Spitalfields Market in 1991.

The western end of the old market has been redeveloped, but the eastern end has been saved as a popular food and general market which has been at the centre of a revival in the area. This is open seven days a week, but is particularly lively on Sundays.

In the late 20th century there was a dispute between the owners, the City of London Corporation and Spitalfields residents about redevelopment of the western end of the Market. The corporation won, and now a Norman Foster designed office block dominates the western end of the site, after two thirds of the historic market were demolished. The east end of the Market has protected Horner buildings, and so could not be 'redeveloped'.

The Gun (a Public house, situated to the south of the market buildings) recalls Tudor times, when the area was used by the Honourable Artillery Company to practice with cross-bow, and later guns and artillery pieces.

At the east end, and on the other side of Commercial Street is Christ Church, Spitalfields, a large Nicholas Hawksmoor church.

Contact the Black Katz City office to find a flat to rent, house to rent or apartment to rent near Spitalfields Market.